10 August 2011

obligations.

Yesterday I was so surprisingly, informally and indirectly asked by a city worker to take down my beautiful hanging baskets on the posts in front of River City Eatery or the consequence would be that a city worker would take them down for me and I would be fined.  The fine would be because of "city right of way."  I would be fined because I hung flower baskets on city property.  My goal throughout this blog and throughout this journey have been to remain postitive, but sometimes I just need to be honest.  I have obligations as a respectable citizen of this community to follow rules set for our city, and I will continue to do so, thus the baskets that were hanging on the posts outside River City Eatery have been taken down.  I'm hoping that after enforcing harmless hanging baskets on city property that the ordinances to keep our city clean and tidy are also enforced.  I'm hoping the ordinances to keep our historic downtown buildings from deteriorating into dust will be enforced. And I'm hoping that someday, together as a City, we can set a standard of living, expectations for an outstanding quality of life, that we will all feel obligated to follow.

I'm going to stay postive.

RIP dear flowers, someday I hope we will meet again...

12 comments:

  1. what exactly is "city right of way"? This seems to me like another embarrassing decision made by another embarrassing city employee. I feel proud of being from windom today...... NOT !

    ReplyDelete
  2. what is confusing me is that there are so many nuisance violations in town---delapidated vacant and occupied houses and buildings,abandoned vehicles,overgrown weed and grass issues,and junk piles around town to take care of, I am surprised they have time to make hanging flowers an issue. I think someone needs to reprioritize!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A small speed bump on the road to a successful future. You will win more of those that you will lose. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ugh....sad day indeed...it was nice to see a beautified store front on the square and the flowers will be missed...and I believe the powers that be that have the time to overlook such other big issues and focus on such trivial items are missing the point as well...

    ReplyDelete
  5. They should have been thanking you for puting them up Mari! Too bad ALL of the stores in town don't look as great as River City Eatery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Things are looking amazing! Don't let any of that break your stride! You are a mover and a shaker and those people only have their job to live for, what will their legacy be? Nothing close to what you have already done in your short time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Job City Worker Now I won't hit my head on them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad your head has been saved from being hit. Be sure not to trip over the weeds around the city too, they are just as dangerous as hanging flower baskets.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are you kidding me???? The baskets looked fantastic and added a little beauty to the square. We should all be thanking you for the great job you're doing to spruce up this city. Maybe this is a city ??ordinance?? that needs changing. Perhaps we should keep our heads up, and take a good look around at the great things happening on the square. Then we won't "hit our heads" on baskets willingly paid for and maintained by others to beautify this city.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No kidding - that seems like a ridiculous interpretation of an ordinance.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We were wondering what happened to the hanging plants that looked so nice. At first we thought they were ripped down by vandals.Maybe he could look at Windom towing with all the tires in the back they have a mosquito breeding ground. Also 1st avenue behind Hy-Vee with all their racks and pallets on the right of way there is a traffic hazard.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This post, along with the comments in the liquor ordinance part of your blog, has a very "Footloose"-sy feel to it, I must say.

    ReplyDelete