16 August 2011

thirsty.

As River City Eatery starts to take shape and my dream of opening a restaurant in Windom are coming true, I'm getting thirsty from all this hard, but oh so much fun work.  I'm getting thirsty for some microbrew.  Unfortunately, a beer and wine license, which we were lucky to recently receive, only allows River City to serve 3.2 beer.  With our beer and wine license we were hoping to serve some great mircro brews from some great local breweries, but these micro brews don't come 3.2 style.  So right now our option is Miller or Bud.  I don't mind Miller or Bud, but I'd like more options, you know?  And I'm sure my customers would want some other options as well.  So here is another option: to inform the city council about this archaic ordinance and allow a beer and wine license to include strong beer, which I have been informed by the state liquor inspector that it is up to the city to grant to an establishment holding a beer and wine license.  Good news this ordinance can be changed at a local level, and I definitely think it is something for the city council to consider. I'll keep you informed with the progress I make trying to get the city council to consider allowing something other than Miller or Bud products in River City Eatery.

Here's to the microbrews, our local breweries, and a cold one!  Cheers!

10 comments:

  1. Good Luck With The One Cottonwood County was the last dry county for a reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brau Brothers from Lucan makes FANTASTIC beer! I too was hoping that you would have some good microbrews. So will you be able to serve wine? If so I doubt that the wine is 3.2, just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really hope you can find a way to change their minds! Why not promote other small businesses as well by allowing you to serve their products? Good Luck! Start a petition, show them the interest is there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. would someone please explain to me what a dry community/county is? I have looked it up on the internet and I still don't understand. Windom doesn't fit dry from what I read. I need some more information.....thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You knew the rules all along. Other people made decisions based on them, don't think you have the right to change the pre-existing ordinances to suit your wishes, no matter how well reasoned you perceive them to be. There is enough trouble with alcohol as it is in today's society.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To the last post,sorry,I did not have an agenda with my question,I simply wanted information,is that so hard to believe? chill....

    ReplyDelete
  7. "You knew the rules all along. Other people made decisions based on them, don't think you have the right to change the pre-existing ordinances to suit your wishes, no matter how well reasoned you perceive them to be." Wow can we say stuck in a rut? I am a resident of this city and would like to know why things are the way they are, just because that's how it has always been? I am sure everyone in town is aware of the ordinance as no where besides a full bar can one imbibe in various beverages that don't fit into the tiny box of 3.2 beer. I was taught in my civics class that being an active member of society was important and that rules and laws are ever evolving, as our great Nation itself has changed since our forefathers signed the Constitution. I shudder to think where society would be if all believed the mentality of "don't think you have the right to change the pre-existing ordinances to suit your wishes, no matter how well reasoned you perceive them to be" Gee maybe I, as a woman, wouldn't even be allowed to vote yet if that were the case. I dont enjoy the bar scene but think it would be a welcomed change to be able to go somewhere and try a few other beverage options with my dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is human nature to evolve and adapt and should be a priority for small rural communities to do so. I'm sure glad someone didn't say, "yeah, I'm happy with wiping my ass with a leaf." Thank god someone came up with something a little better instead of being happy with the way things have always been.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is no different than for example a developer who knowingly buys land zoned for one purpose (such as single family housing) and then changes the zoning after the fact so they can build an apartment building. If she can get the council to change the rules and no objection, fine. But loosening the liquor laws in the face of opposition would show a contempt for everyone else who played by the same set of rules.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If the laws were to change for River City Eatery, wouldn't they then change for all restaurants where beer is served? I would assume yes. Therefore, an adjustment to these laws would show no "contempt", as all places would have the opportunity to upgrade their beer offerings.
    In the same vein, it is not River City's fault that other establishments where beer is served have decided not to challenge the ordinance as it stands.
    Ultimately, I think it is counter-productive to suggest that a citizen of a community doesn't have the moral or legal right to challenge a standing ordinance or law. After all, it is America and, as someone else mentioned, its people have every right to question the authorities and their mandates.

    ReplyDelete