21 August 2010

dear mari,

I wanted to share a few excerpts from some emails I've received at findingwindom@hotmail.com.  I didn't include any names or personal information as far as who wrote them,  I just want to give all my readers a glimpse of the inspiration and support all around us.  Keep 'em coming!

--I've been following your blogspot since it's inception and I'd love to offer any help I can. I'm a laid off architectural designer and I've long had an interest helping Windom rediscover not only it's many assets but how to take full advantage of those assets so that they work for the community at large...sadly, it's tough to do from a distance. I've been poking around to try to find information that may be helpful in breaking down this giant of a job into more identifiable and manageable tasks.
I've also contacted some old colleagues of mine to see if they could help point you in the right direction to some of the resources for guidance.

--Just wanted to let you know I've enjoyed reading your blogs. I can feel your enthusiasm! My husband has worked in Windom for 5 years now, commuting almost 100 miles a day. I, too, can see that Windom has a hidden potential and would like to help you.

--I saw your letter in the citizen. I really liked what I read and it led me to read your entire blog, and I just listened to your KDOM interview this morning. I have been living here for 2 years and I still remember my first few days driving around the town. It is such a cool set up with the main square and having such old buildings still intact with the courthouse standing tall in the middle of it all. I just wanted to let you know I really like what your working on and I'd like to help however I can.

--I enjoyed what you wrote, and think you’ve got an excellent cause going. Windom definitely could use some promoting, keep it up. I will try to pass the word on to others. Good luck.

--Are you the person that dropped off the flower and business card? Interested in your website and views, we would like to see Windom survive these economic times.

--I was born and raised in Windom between 1940 and 1958. I went away to college never to return as a resident. My dad moved to Windom in 1935 and has told me many times that it was the best move he ever made. He died the Sogge Home in 2006. I am proud of what the people of Windom have done to make them what they are today.
Here are some things that I think are "positives" about Windom.
The CCHS staff and exhibits are extraordinary.
BARC has turned a "tear-down" into a relative jewel.
The Court House should be on anyone's "must see" list.
I've not attended the CC Fair in years, but the description of this year's seems to be fantastic.
The areas around Windom are a naturalist's, particularly "birders", dream, from Wolf Lake to Pat's Grove to Heron Lake to String Lakes to the Jeffers Petroglyphs to Rat Lake. The list goes on.
I don't know many people still living in Windom. If they are anything like the "greatest generation" that raised and educated me, Windom needs to take pride in its people.

These are all reasons I wanted to start this project.  Windom is a special place to many people and deserves our utmost attention and love. I appreciate everyone's memories, visions and support.  Opening findingwindom@hotmail.com is like opening presents on Christmas morning, except I get to do it everyday.  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment